- 450g strawberries, hulled and sliced, plus extra to decorate
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
For the custard
- 340ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2tbsp custard powder
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 170g pot 5% fat Greek yogurt
- Fresh mint sprigs, to decorate (optional)
- Heat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 4. Put the sliced strawberries in a bowl, then sprinkle over the 1tbsp sugar and balsamic vinegar, and toss to coat evenly. Spread the strawberries over a baking tray lined with baking paper, then roast for 8–10 min until shrivelled a little. Cool completely, then whiz in a blender until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, mix 6tbsp of the milk with the custard powder and the 2tbsp sugar to form a paste. Heat the rest of the milk with the vanilla paste or extract in a medium saucepan until simmering. Mix the hot milk into the paste in the bowl with a balloon whisk, then pour the custard back into the pan. Return to the heat for a few min, stirring, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Pour into a clean bowl to cool completely.
- Once the custard and strawberry purée are both completely cold, mix together along with the yogurt. Pour into a freezerproof container and freeze for 1 hr 30 min.
- Remove from the freezer and whisk with a fork, then freeze for at least 1 hr more or until solid.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer to soften slightly 10 min before serving. Serve 2 scoops per person, decorated with mint sprigs, if using, and extra strawberries.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
144kcal 5.2g 2.9g 1.7g 3.4g 21.2g 0.1g 113mg 25.9g 0.3mg