- 800g sweet potatoes (about 4), peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
- ¼tsp dried chilli flakes or 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, plus extra sliced chilli to garnish (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 25g fresh coriander, stalks and leaves chopped separately
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 firm but ripe avocados
- 4 eggs
- 100g reduced-fat feta and lime wedges, to serve
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 400g can black beans in water, drained and rinsed
- 250ml hot reduced-salt vegetable stock
For the frijoles
- Put the sweet potato chunks in a microwave-proof bowl. Cover and microwave at 600W for 10 min or until tender (or steam or roast the chunks, covered, in the oven).
- Meanwhile, make the frijoles. Toast the cumin seeds in a deep non-stick frying pan over a medium heat for about 1 min or until fragrant. Add the 1tbsp oil, onion and garlic and soften gently for 10 min.
- Add the oregano, smoked paprika, black beans and stock to the frying pan, then bring to a simmer. Cook gently for 15 min, stirring occasionally, then season to taste with black pepper. Set aside.
- Roughly mash the cooked sweet potatoes with a fork, then mix in the chilli, garlic, spring onions, chopped coriander stalks and black pepper. Mix well. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Divide the sweet potato mash into 4 equal amounts, then add to the pan (keeping them separate). Fry for 3–4 min until crispy and golden. Flip over and cook for a further 2–3 min. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Peel and halve the avocados and remove the stones, then lightly brush the cut sides with the remaining oil and season with black pepper. Return the frying pan to the heat and add a little of the remaining oil, then fry the eggs to your liking, in batches if necessary.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick griddle pan until hot. Griddle the avocado halves, cut-side down, for 1–2 min over a high heat until char lines appear.
- Divide the sweet potato hash among 4 plates, then spoon over the frijoles, top with an egg and put an avocado half on the side. Crumble over the feta and sprinkle with the coriander leaves and chilli slices, if using. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
557kcal 20.9g 32.4g 8.7g 16.7g 13.1g 2g 249mg 46.5g 5.5mg