- Cooking oil spray, to grease
- 6tbsp golden syrup, plus 6tsp extra to serve
- 2tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 80g low-fat spread, softened
- 30g fat-free natural yogurt
- 80g light muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250g self-raising flour, sifted
- ½tsp baking powder
- 1tbsp ground ginger
- Zest 1 lemon
- 130ml skimmed milk
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Grease 6 x 175ml pudding moulds with oil. Cut 6 squares of foil to fit over the top of each mould with a little overhang. Spoon 1tbsp of the golden syrup into each of the moulds, then sprinkle in the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the low-fat spread, yogurt and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour, baking powder, ginger and lemon zest, then pour in the milk and stir to make a smooth batter.
- Divide the mixture equally among the moulds and, working quickly, cover each with a foil square, scrunching the edges to give a watertight seal. Put the sponges in a roasting tin, then pour in enough boiling water to reach about halfway up each mould. Tightly cover the tin with more foil, then cook on the middle shelf of the oven for 30 min or until a skewer pushed into the middle of the sponges comes out clean.
- Remove the moulds from the roasting tin and leave to stand for 5 min. Gently run a knife around the edge of each pudding, then invert on to plates. Serve with 1tsp golden syrup drizzled over each pudding.
For a similar but fruity twist, see our steamed raspberry sponge puddings too.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
388 8.1g 7.4g 1.8g 1.9g 42g 1.1g 222mg 77.8g 2.4mg