User Review( votes)
Vanilla maple custards with berries and cacao nibs
These vanilla maple custards can be enjoyed by everyone, as they use almond milk and cornflour to make a vegan and gluten-free custard. Top with fresh berries and cacao nibs for a low-calorie yet tasty treat.
Prep Time 10 min
Cooking Time 10 min + chilling
- 600ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1¼tsp agar agar powder or 4tsp agar agar flakes
- 1½tsp vanilla bean paste
- 4tbsp maple syrup
- 2tbsp cornflour
- 250g fresh berries
- 1tbsp cacao nibs
- Put all but 3tbsp of the almond milk in a pan. Whisk in the agar agar powder or flakes, vanilla bean paste and 3tbsp of the maple syrup. Bring to a simmer over a medium-heat, stirring often to prevent the agar agar sinking. Simmer for 5 min until it has dissolved.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk the remaining almond milk with the cornflour to make a runny paste. Whisk the cornflour paste into the mixture in the pan and cook for a further 1 min until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and pour into 6 small ramekins or bowls. Set aside for 20 min to cool before putting in the fridge for 1–2 hr or overnight.
- To serve, divide the berries among the custard bowls. Drizzle over the remaining maple syrup and scatter over the cacao nibs.