- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tsp dried oregano or mixed herbs
- 1 large leek, cut into chunks
- 2 large celery sticks, cut into chunks
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into chunks
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan with a lid over a medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and herbs and cook for 5 min.
- Meanwhile, put the leek, celery, parsnips and red pepper chunks in a food processor and pulse until they’re finely chopped but still have some texture.
- Add the remaining oil and the chopped veg to the pan and cook, covered, for 20 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes with 250ml water, then simmer for 5 min. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Blend the sauce if you want a smooth consistency, or leave it chunky. If not serving immediately, divide the sauce evenly among 4 airtight containers. Allow to cool, then keep chilled or freeze.
TIP This recipe makes 4 batches of sauce for 6 people, so keep the extra batches in the freezer until you need them.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
39kcal 0.9g 1.9g 0.3g 1.4g 3g 0g 19mg 3.8g 0.5mg