- 3tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 medium carrots, thickly sliced
- 3 medium parsnips, thickly sliced
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 150g green beans, trimmed
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 3tbsp biryani paste
- 350g basmati rice
- 400g tin chopped Italian tomatoes
- 1 litre reduced-salt vegetable stock
- A few raisins and toasted flaked almonds, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Heat 2tbsp of the oil in a large flameproof casserole or roasting tin over a medium heat. Add the carrots, parsnips and half the onions and cook for 5 min, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Add the cauliflower, beans and courgette and cook for 1–2 min, then stir in the biryani paste and rice and cook for 1 min. Add the tomatoes and stock and season with black pepper. Bring to the boil, then cover and cook in the oven for 25–30 min until the stock is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and cook the remaining onions over a low heat for 10 min until really soft but not browned. Turn up the heat and cook for a few more min until crisp, then remove from the heat.
- Remove the biryani from the oven and fork through the rice. Garnish with the fried onions, raisins and almonds to serve.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
432 11.7g 11.2g 1.4g 9.7g 17.9g 1.6g 121mg 72.1g 3.9mg