- 8 portobello mushrooms (about 325g), cut into 1cm chunks
- 1 head broccoli, cut into 2½cm florets, and stalks trimmed and cut into 2½cm cubes
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 350g macaroni
- 700ml plant-based milk
- 70g dairy-free butter alternative
- 55g plain flour
- 2tsp onion powder
- 1½tsp garlic powder
- 2tsp English mustard
- 4tbsp nutritional yeast
- 40g dairy-free cheese, grated
- 50g panko breadcrumbs
- Salad leaves, to serve (optional)
- For the marinade
- 5tbsp soy sauce
- 20ml maple syrup
- 20ml apple cider vinegar
- 20ml olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl, then add the mushrooms and stir to coat.
- Spread out the broccoli and onion on one of the lined baking trays, drizzle with olive oil and season with freshly ground black pepper. Spread the mushrooms over the second lined baking tray. Put the tray with the broccoli and onion on the top shelf of the oven and the tray with the mushrooms on the shelf below. Cook for 15 min or until all the veg are golden brown.
- Remove both trays
and increase the oven temperature to 220°C/
fan 200°C/gas 7.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni according to the pack instructions. Drain, then tip into a 20x30cm ovenproof dish.
- While the macaroni is cooking, warm the milk alternative in the microwave for a few sec until warmed but not hot. Put the dairy-free butter in a pan and stir continuously until it melts. Turn the heat right down and gradually add the flour, stirring vigorously until you have a doughy paste. Gradually pour in the warm milk, stirring all the time until you have a thick, creamy sauce. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, mustard, nutritional yeast, cheese and ¾tsp black pepper to the sauce and stir until it thickens to the consistency of custard.
- Add the cooked vegetables and sauce to the drained pasta and mix together so that everything is well covered. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top and season with freshly ground black pepper. Bake for 5 min to warm through and crisp up the breadcrumbs. Serve with salad leaves, if using
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
541 17.5g 18.8g 4g 9.1g 14.5g 2.4g 219mg 74.1g 3mg