- 2tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 4tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ small bunch of fresh basil, chopped
- 75g baby spinach
- 400g tin borlotti beans in water, drained
- 500ml skimmed milk
- 150g instant polenta
- 1tsp lemon zest
- 25g parmesan-style vegetarian cheese, grated
- Mixed leaves, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the onion, carrots, celery and pepper for 5–7 min until they start to soften. Add the oregano, garlic and chilli flakes and cook, stirring, for about 1 min.
- Add the tomato purée, tinned tomatoes and 125ml cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 min or until the vegetables are cooked through and the sauce thickened. Add the basil, spinach and beans. Cook, stirring, for 1 min or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, combine the milk with 150ml cold water in a medium pan. Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat, then slowly pour in the polenta, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring, for 2 min or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest. Set aside for 2 min to thicken further.
- Heat the grill to high. Spoon the bean mixture into 4 x 500ml ovenproof dishes or a 2-litre ovenproof dish. Top with the polenta and sprinkle with the cheese. Grill for 5 min or until the cheese melts and starts to brown. Serve with the mixed salad leaves.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
346 17.5g 5.4g 1.8g 5.6g 20.2g 0.7g 320mg 58.4g 2.4mg