- 4 large red (or other colour) peppers, halved and deseeded
- Spray cooking oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 250g vegetarian mince (we like Fry’s)
- 2–3tsp chipotle paste, to taste
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tomatoes, finely diced
- 400g can kidney beans in water, rinsed
- 30g grated reduced-fat cheddar
- 35g plain corn tortilla chips, to serve
For the salsa:
- 125g sweetcorn (thawed if frozen)
- 1 avocado, finely diced
- 2tbsp lime juice
- Tabasco (optional)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6 and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Put the peppers in the tray, cut side up.
- Set a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and spray with oil. Stir-fry the onion for 2 min or until just softened, then add the mince and chipotle paste. Cook, stirring to break up the mince, for 2 min. Add the tomato purée, tomatoes and kidney beans, then simmer for a further 2 min. Add up to 4tbsp water to thin if needed.
- Stuff the mince mixture into the pepper halves, then top with the cheese. Cover with a sheet of foil and bake for 15 min. Remove the foil, then bake for a further 10–15 min until the cheese has melted and the peppers are just tender.
- Toss the sweetcorn with the avocado and lime juice to make a salsa, then season to taste with tabasco, if you like.
- Serve the stuffed peppers with the salsa and tortilla chips.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
380 20.9g 132.g 3.9g 19.1g 14.4g 0.8g 143mg 46.7g 2.5mg