- 175g pearl barley
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500ml very low salt vegetable stock
- 1tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 175g frozen sweetcorn
- 2tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 4tbsp low-fat natural yogurt
- Put the pearl barley in a medium pan with the garlic and stock, set over a medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 25 min or until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, set a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the sunflower and pumpkin seeds and cook, stirring, for 1–2 min until lightly toasted. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add half the olive oil to the frying pan and return to a medium heat. Add the fennel and cook for 5–6 min, turning once, until tender and golden. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the shallots and mushrooms for 5–6 min until tender and golden.
- Cook the sweetcorn according to the pack instructions. When the barley is cooked, divide everything among 4 plates, sprinkle with the chopped parsley, toasted seeds and spring onions, then serve with the yogurt and a sprinkling of ground black pepper.
Nutrition per serving
Read more on how we calculate nutrition.
336kcal 9.9g 12.1g 2.3g 11.6g 8.5g 0.2g 105mg 50g 2.8mg